Monday, July 6, 2009

Journal Reflection #1

Journal #1
This article was very interesting. I had a very basic understanding of most of the things mentioned in the article. However most of what I know about Google, I have discovered on my own. It was interesting and very insightful to have the opportunity to have it explained in plain terms. The article talks about how it is a known fact that Google is a very popular search tool and that people use it quite frequently. It then goes on to point out how the millions of people that use Google can make their searches on Google more effective.
1. Is it necessary for students to understand everything that is explained in this article? I don’t think so. I do think that the information in this article can certainly help make using Google a lot easier and more effective. I also think that the more information that they are able to understand about making searching easier, the better off they’ll be.

2. If I wanted to find a way to help students better understand the things mentioned in the article, what could be a good way to do it? An idea that I was thinking of, assuming that they know very little about advanced features of Google, would be to design a class project and let groups of students complete a section of the project. The teacher could do a walk through with the students pointing out how advanced search features can be more effective. The teacher could do this in a way as to provide a starting point and let the groups complete their part of the project.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I do not use many of the ideas in the article. I guess the usage depends on the purpose.

R-J